The Municipality requires all seasonal stands, mobile canteens and produce farm stands to obtain a licence in order to ensure health and safety regulations are met.

For all other businesses be sure to check out the federal and provincial government websites regarding business licencing & regulations at

Seasonal Stand/Mobile Canteen/Fresh Produce Stand Licence

Seasonal Stands, Mobile Canteens, and Fresh Produce Stands have become a vital part of the local food business within Mississippi Mills. For information, definitions and requirements please refer to By-law 19-48. 

Licence fees can be found under the Fee Schedule.

Application forms can be filled out online or downloaded and dropped off at the Municipal Office to the attention of the Clerk's department.  

Application form - Seasonal Stand & Mobile Canteen

Application form - Produce Farm Stand

Tourism Exemption  

The Retail Business Holidays Act is legislation that requires businesses to be closed on public holidays. A list of the holidays the Act refers to are as follows:

  • New Year's Day
  • Family Day
  • Good Friday
  • Easter Sunday
  • Victoria Day
  • Canada Day
  • Labour Day
  • Thanksgiving Day
  • Christmas Day

Council can permit retail businesses to be open on holidays for the maintenance or development of tourism if the tourism criteria is met. The criteria is based on the type of retail store, what the store sells, its size, the number of employees normally working, as well as other criteria, as to whether or not the business must remain closed on the above holidays.  

Please visit the Retail Business Holidays Act for more information on the criteria that must be met before you’re able to apply for exemption from this Act.

If you believe your business meets the Act’s exemption criteria please fill out the Tourism Exemption application online and email it to the Clerk's department or contact the Clerk's department for more information.

A by-law may be passed by Council only if the retail business is compliant with the tourism criteria, however Council is not required to pass a by-law and may exercise its discretion to refuse the application.

Municipally Significant Event 

The AGCO administers the Special Occasion Permit (SOP) program, which allows for sales and service of alcohol on special occasions, such as cash bars at weddings or private receptions, as well as larger scale events that are open to the public, such as charity fundraisers. The AGCO requires some SOP applications to provide proof from the municipality that the event is considered municipally significant.

In order to be deemed an event of municipal significance, it requires a designation by the municipality where the event is taking place.  SOP applications for a municipally significant Public Event require a letter from a delegated municipal official designating the event as municipally significant.

Requests for municipal letters can be emailed to the Clerk's office or mailed to 3131 Old Perth Road, PO Box 400, Almonte ON K0A 1A0  using the following application form.

Your event details will be circulated to the Building and Planning department, Roads and Public Works department, Fire department, OPP and Health unit for their information and approval.

For further information regarding AGCO Municipally Significant Events please visit the AGCO website.