The Town of Mississippi Mills offers services that can help you with your home or property, whether you are moving into a new home or are looking to make improvements to your existing property.
LANARK COUNTY LEGACY COTTAGE PROGRAM
150TH ANNIVERSARY IN 2017
Lanark County, home to a multitude of lakes, rivers and creeks, wishes to recognize the contributions that members of the cottage community have made to our communities by honouring those families whose cottage has been in the family for 50, 75, 100, or 125 years by designating their cottage a Legacy Cottage. Unlike a heritage building, there are no legal restrictions associated with the legacy cottage designation - a Legacy Cottage designation is commemorative only.
- Direct descendant of the same family should have owned the cottage for 50, 75, 100, or 125 consecutive years
- A family member should still own the cottage property
- Cottages that have been rebuilt or converted into permanent homes are eligible
- The cottage can be on a lake, river or creek in Lanark County
Legacy Cottage Plaque
- The Legacy Cottage plaque features an etching courtesy of Tay Valley artist, Franc van Oort (see mock-up on reverse).
- The plaque measures 8 x 10 inches and is suitable to hang in your cottage or outside
- Government funding is not available for this program. Hence, recipients will be asked to pay $60 to cover the cost of their plaque.
- Legacy Cottage plaques will be presented in the summer of 2017. For those whose cottage is on a lake, the presentation will likely take place at your lake association's annual meeting. For those whose cottage is on a river or creek, the presentation will take place at another suitable occasion.
Tay Valley Township is administering the program on behalf of the eight municipalities that comprise Lanark County: Beckwith, Carleton Place, Drummond/North Elmsley, Lanark Highlands, Mississippi Mills, Montague, Perth, and Tay Valley.
Application forms for the Legacy Cottage Program will be available on Lanark County and municipal websites and at municipal offices.
For more information on Canada 150 celebrations in Lanark County, visit
Legacy Cottage Application
Livestock Owners in the Municipality of Mississippi Mills can make claims to the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA) by calling one of our Livestock Valuers. Please visit www.Ontario.ca/predation for more information about the program.
Alex Hazelwood 613-256-2349
Kurtis McRae 613-229-8469